Sweet Potato Chili
Indulge yourself in a bowl of Paleo Sweet Potato Chili that is spicy and full of beef. It’s thick, rich,and slightly sweet while being grain free and dairy free. Prep time 20 min Cook time 35 min Total time 55 min
316 Calories serves 10
- 1 TBSP Southern olive Garlic infused oil
- 2 lbs of hamburger
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 can of tomato sauce 29.5 ounces
- 2 cups of petite diced tomato with juice
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 1 cup of carrots sliced
- 5 cups of sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 chili powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- dash of oregano
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 oz) can organic black beans drained and rinsed ( can leave out to make paleo)
- 1 can organic corn ( can leave out to make paleo)
- In a large saucepan, brown hamburger, onions, and garlic. Drain the fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan.Mix well, bring to a boil,and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes until sweet potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Then Serve!
- Slow cooker option: instead of simmering the chili, you can brown the ground beef, drain the fat and place it in the slow cooker. Add the other ingredients and let it simmer all day. ( 6-8 hours low, 4-5 hours high)
2 TBSP Southern olive Basil olive oil
1 TBSP Southern olive Garlic Olive Oil
1 Large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stalks of celery ( you can substitute carrots instead)
28 Oz box Organic diced tomato with liquid ( avoid buying tomatoes in can due to it leaching out BPA from can lining and causing health problems)
5 cups of vegetable broth (MSG/Gluten free)(Feel free to add more water or broth if soup is to thick)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
few grinds of black pepper
1 cup of fresh or frozen green beans
1 15 oz can each of kidney,garbanzo,and cannelloni beans
8 oz frozen chopped spinach or kale
1 cup of dried pasta
Saute onion, garlic, and celery on the bottom of a soup pot until tender. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta and spinach. Cook for 30 minutes over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. In a separate bowl, prepare pasta per package instructions. Drain. A few minutes before serving add spinach and pasta. Adjust salt to taste.
Tuscan Style Chicken Soup w/ Pesto
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tbsp Southern Olive Basil Infused olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 stick of celery sliced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 litre good-quality chicken stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 400 g cooked cannellini beans washed and drained
- 2 skinless cooked chicken breasts shredded
- 100 g chopped kale
- Small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- Fresh thyme
- Add a Dollop of Basil Pesto in each bowl
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots and potatoes, stir, then add in the chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the drained cannellini beans and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the shredded chicken and heat through for 2-3 minutes, then add the kale. Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the kale has wilted. Test and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide between four bowls, topped with fresh parsley, grated parmesan and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme.
Nutritional information is per serving.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 807mg | Potassium: 1651mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7700IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 7.8mg